In recent years, making sure your family is as healthy and eco-friendly as possible has become very popular. A few years ago I really had no desire to be eco-friendly and really didn’t know of ways to be healthy besides exercising and having healthier eating habits.
The more I have studied up on these subjects, the more I find out how clueless I was! It can get kind of scary when you learn about all the dangers of the environment right in your own home.
Now that my husband and I are in search of our first home and I start envisioning how I am going to decorate and furnish this home, I have decided to share with you ways to clean up your environment and maybe become a little eco-friendly starting with the bedroom!
Here are the top 14 tips I have found through my research that will help you create a true bedroom oasis:
- Refurbish antique furniture or buy furniture that is made with renewable materials. Do not buy furniture that is made of particleboard or composite wood due to the glue and chemicals used. These chemicals include formaldehyde which is a known carcinogen and some studies have linked it to the development of allergies and asthma. This also applies to upholstered furniture due to the flame retardant that is used that emits formaldehyde vapors.
- Choose bare floors with rugs made of natural fibers to help decrease the amount of allergens present in your house.
- When it comes to choosing curtains, choose natural fabrics such as organic cotton, canvas, linen, or hemp to cut down on allergens and harsh chemicals. Curtains are great dust collectors so make sure to buy washable fabrics.
- When buying blankets to keep warm during the long winters, choose natural linens such as wool, organic cotton, linen, or hemp. Do not dry clean blankets because some of the chemicals that are used have been linked to various cancers. If you do choose to use an electric blanket, warm up your bed before you climb in and then turn the blanket off. Electric blankets create an electromagnetic field as you sleep.
- Choose fabrics such as organic cotton, wool, buckwheat, or natural latex when you buy pillows. Regular pillows are often made of foam which can contain flame retardants.
- Sheets should be 100% organic cotton and not contain any dyes. Make sure it isn’t treated with formaldehyde or any other chemicals. Do not buy permanent press sheets because it contains formaldehyde of which vapors you will inhale when you sleep. Remember, your skin is your largest organ in your body and will absorb anything that comes in contact with it. Be careful what dyes and types of fabric you want touching your skin!
- Did you realize that you should pay attention to what type of mattress you are sleeping on? You should choose a mattress made of organic materials. It is quite common for mattresses to contain flame retardants which are carcinogenic, reproductive toxicants, and endocrine disruptors. It has the flame retardant because of the foam which is made of petroleum-based products which are flammable. Wool is a natural fire retardant that is great for mattresses or even mattresses that are cotton filled. Savvy Rest is a great choice for organic mattresses that are made of latex.
- Choose organic cotton mattress pads which will cut down on dust mites.
- Choose air filtering plants. Visit NASA website for more information on best plants to choose.
- Change your air filter on a regular basis to decrease allergens and purify the air.
- Keep windows open for better air quality. Cross ventilation is a plus. Outdoor air is typically cleaner due to all the chemicals and dust that are found in furniture, fabrics, and other products in your home. Choose an air purifier or vacuum with a HEPA filter.
- Choose low/no-VOC paint for walls, furniture, and ceiling to cut down on chemical pollutants in your home.
- Wash your bedding each week with fragrance free detergent to decrease mold, mildew, and dust mite accumulation.
- Choose a stylish ceiling fan to help circulate the air in your home which will help with cross ventilation when you have your windows open. Choose one made of renewable natural materials. You will also save on your electricity bill!
Do you have any thoughts or more tips to add? Leave me a comment below!