I recently had a client come to me in tears about how stressed out she was. Her husband recently got transferred across country so they moved with their 3 kids.
They bought a house, she started a new job, the kids started in their new schools this fall, and they were still paying the mortgage on their home back east. She was extremely stressed out between helping her family adjust to the move, all the boxes to unpack, meals to cook, having to meet new friends, and starting in on her full-time job.
She was truly exhausted and didn’t know who to turn to in order to get the support and encouragement to get things done that needed to be done. She was ready to give up and fall back into her quiet shell just going through the motions.
Not all of us have recently moved or understand the stress this woman faced at this season in her life, but we all have the on-going stresses of life. We may have a family, work, school, etc that seem to pull us in all different directions.
Our kids could have tons of extra-curricular activities that seem to never end and pull us from one to another without time to take a breath. Some may even have the stress of starting a home-based business in addition all the other stress that life brings for us.
What has helped you deal with the different stresses in life effectively? What could you have helped this woman with in order to help her de-stress?
Today I have for all of us crazy people who think we can do it all for everyone on a daily basis, a list of the top 7 tips I have learned that help people de-stress and gain control of their hectic lives.
- Be positive. Your life is stressful, but learn to think on the bright side of things. It will help give you the motivation and little extra push to get things done that need to be accomplished in your life. You can do it!
- Get organized. How in the world will you feel like you are actually getting anything done when you don’t know what needs to be done? Get a calendar, a mail organizer, bill organizer, and keep track of your life! No more running around like a chicken without the head! Know what needs to get done and get it done!
- Prioritize. So you have a list that could stretch from California to Texas; go through and prioritize the list so you can focus on what is most important to complete right now. This will allow you not to waste precious time right now on something that you don’t have to worry about until next week. Work on what needs to be done now.
- Learn to say no. You aren’t superman or superwoman! You can not do it all. As a wife of a soon-to-be pastor, I should listen to this one the most! What do you need to do, what do you want to do, and what can you say no to?
- Love your job. Go into work with a clear head and the positive motivation of what you love about your job. You have to have something you love about it even if it is just getting paid and having benefits. If you are truly not satisfied, find something else.
- Take time for yourself. You can’t keep go-go-going without time to at least take a break and relax. If you do not take time for yourself, you are not as valuable to others. By taking this break, you will be refreshed and ready to handle those around you.
- De-clutter your life. When you have tons of clutter both at home and in your calendar, you will feel so “all over the place”. This goes with being clean and organized in all aspects of your life so you can better deal with what is thrown at you! Without clutter, there is less to think and worry about! How simple can you get in your life?
With these 7 steps, we can better take control of our lives and revitalize ourselves so we can be more productive and present for those around us who rely on us.
Take a moment know to really think about what small change you can make in your life right now to help it run more smoothly or less stressful? Is there someone you know who could use a little support and encouragement to take a little time for themselves? Leave me a comment below!
For me it is all about taking a moment to relax, take a deep breath, and picturing how peaceful listening to the ocean is (hence the picture above which is a de-stressor for me)!
Don’t forget to share the love by sharing this post with your friends. Who is struggling right now and could use a few words that can make all t he difference in their lives?