As a part of this ongoing series regarding how to combat health and nutritional illiteracy in America, it is important to realize that the diet of 90% of Americans is based on junk! It’s true!
With projections showing that 75% of the U.S. population will be overweight by 2020, it is time right now to take our health more seriously!
There is so much information out there about what is healthy and what we should be eating. The guidelines that are currently out there pretty much say, “eat more of everything”! Now how does that help our society when we are really suffering from eating too much?
These guidelines worked back in the 1930s when people really were not eating enough food. Now they say eat more meat, dairy, and grains because those are the industries that put their money into the government so the government will do pretty much under the radar advertising.
These guidelines do nothing for the current state of our country’s health.
What is really going on here in 2010 is that people are eating way more calories but these calories have zero nutritional value. Sure the advertisements out there all say ‘with iron’ or ‘calcium-fortified’.
All this means is that the companies add calcium into what otherwise is nutritionally junk food and this does not make this food suddenly healthy.
What we really need is truthful health and nutrition information so we can make healthier food choices without all the distractions that advertisers love!
So, today I am first going to cover what this junk diet mainly consists of and then go into what a healthy diet looks like.
- Lots of dead and processed foods
- Not many fresh fruits and vegetables
- Not much water
- Lots of sugary drinks and soda beverages
- Lots of processed sugar
- Lots of processed carbohydrates
- Lots of processed dairy
- Lots of chemical food additives such as MSG and aspartame
- Lots of BPA in plastics and epoxy resins that leads to hormonal imbalances etc.
- Lots of pesticide-contaminated foods
- Lots of unhealthy oils such as corn, soy, and partially hydrogenated oils
- Lots of fried food or food cooked at high temperatures that decrease the nutritional value and increase the amount of carcinogens
- Lots of animal products
So, does that list look familiar? How close are you to it?
- Lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds
- Not many animal products or used more as a topping
- Lots of variety of fresh, whole foods
- Not much of processed sugars, flour, wheat
- Not much of GMO or pesticide contaminated products
- Not many processed foods with lots of chemical food additives
- Lots and Lots of superfoods and food-based vitamins
- How does that compare to what you’ve always been taught and what your current healthstyle is? I bet it is completely different, right? I know I had a mighty wakeup call when I first started researching nutrition.
What would this mean for your health?
It is all about taking on step at a time! What can you start doing today to help improve your health?
If you are at a loss, how about starting with adding a LIQUID multivitamin to your daily routine? I emphasis liquid vitamin because it is closer to eating whole foods the way your body can easily absorb its nutrients.
A pill has tons of fillers and additives. With a pill, you can’t get all the nutrients absorbed by your body because of the inability of your body to completely absorb the pill.
Take inventory of your current diet. Are you promoting health or disease?